Friday, May 25, 2007

Blogging with care

Blogging can be an unsafe options for many of you.
I can vouch for this truism.
My recent personal experience has shown that if you speak out, you are in for it.

The BBC writes, quoting a study of 2000 bloggers done by Human resources Company Croner, where 39% said that they made harmful comments in their posts - including derogatory or damaging details about their workplace, boss or colleagues, and this could be harmful for their careers.

This was also one reason why in a recent McKinsey study, many companies said they were afraid of employees using web 2.0 tools such as Blogs, Wikis and others because they were afraid of the matter being posted online.

I was the editor at a blog network in India, starting with its inception and I left after 14 months, bored with the editing basically rewritten stuff. There was no sign of the promised land of informed online opinion.

I mentioned this in passing in one of my posts, my ex-CEO read this (lesson: people are watching you online), and duly he dissed my work experience when a recruiter got in touch with him for verification.

For many, speaking out is no fun.

The blogosphere is a two-faced sword.
When someone advises you to have a voice online, she probably meant having a filtered, edited voice.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 5:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I know the name of the blog network you are referring to.

- Ruchika

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home